Eric Buresh is a founding member of Erise. Over the last 15 years, Eric has litigated over 175 patent infringement matters in district courts across the nation. He has also led teams in multiple appeals at the Federal Circuit and handled several cases through trial at the International Trade Commission. Since the introduction of Inter Partes Review (IPR) and Covered Business Method Review proceedings, Eric has had a very active and very successful Patent Trial and Appeal Board practice. He has filed nearly 50 such proceedings, and still enjoys a 100% institution rate on cases that reach merits decisions, which is significantly above the national average.
Eric’s litigation philosophy centers on developing strategies for his clients that terminate cases quickly while, at the same time, preparing each case for trial from the outset should that need arise. The client’s best interest is always at the forefront of Eric’s practice, leading to an emphasis on case management efficiency and client service. This approach led him to be recognized as a Super Lawyer in each of 2013-2016 as well as an IP Star by Managing Intellectual Property. In addition, his leading PTAB practice secured his spot as an IP Trailblazer through The National Law Journal.
Eric currently represents clients in multiple technology areas, including GPS technology, consumer electronics, digital rights management, video games and systems, e-commerce, and multiple aspects of data network technology and testing. Eric obtained a degree in engineering with honors and graduated law school summa cum laude. Following law school, Eric clerked for a federal judge, focusing on patent infringement cases. Eric is licensed in numerous federal courts around the country, the Federal Circuit, and also is licensed to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office. In addition, he is a board member for several not-for-profit organizations.
- 2000, J.D., Washburn University School of Law
- 1997, B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Cedarville University
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- IP Star, Managing IP, 2013-2021
- BTI Client Service All-Star, BTI Consulting Group, Inc., 2017
- Acritas Star, Acritas Stars Database and Report, 2017
- Intellectual Property Trailblazer, The National Law Journal, 2016
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, 2013-2018
- Rising Star, Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, 2009
- Kansas City Business Journal Best of the Bar, 2017