Michelle Lyons Marriott litigates patent, trademark, copyright, licensing, and trade secret issues. She has handled cases at trial and on appeal, in state and federal courts and through arbitration, representing both plaintiffs and defendants.
With extensive experience in intellectual property as well as commercial litigation matters, Michelle brings a unique perspective and practical focus to intellectual property litigation. She excels at presenting highly complex and technical positions in a way that they are easily digestible and understandable, and she manages cases with an emphasis on early strategic planning, moving the case forward efficiently, effectively, and aggressively with her clients’ best interests in mind.
Michelle represents clients in high-technology growth industries, such as consumer electronics, GPS technology, internet technologies and wireless networking, video games and systems, and medical devices. She handles cases between competitors and multi-defendant patent litigation, at times resolving the dispute before it accelerates to active litigation. Michelle also has tried and won cases involving the misappropriation of sensitive confidential information, obtaining damages awards including attorneys’ fees and punitive damages.
Michelle graduated summa cum laude with undergraduate degrees in Journalism and Business Administration from the University of Missouri. Michelle attended Vanderbilt University Law School, where she was the managing editor of the Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law, and was a justice on Vanderbilt’s Moot Court Board. After law school, Michelle served as a law clerk to the Honorable Duane Benton on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit and on the Supreme Court of Missouri. She began her career in private practice as a litigator at Baker Botts LLP in Dallas, Texas.
Michelle is active in the community, and serves on the board of directors for a local school for children with special needs.
- J.D., Vanderbilt University
- B.S. in Business/B.J. in Advertising, University of Missouri – Columbia
- Texas (inactive)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, 2017-2022
- IP Power List, Missouri Lawyers Weekly, 2022
- Patexia: Best Performing Patent Litigators, 2022
- IP Trailblazer, National Law Journal, 2018
- Best of the Bar, Kansas City Business Journal, 2018
- Influential Lawyer, Missouri Lawyers Weekly, 2018
- Up & Coming, Missouri Lawyers Weekly, 2015
- Rising Star, KC Business, 2014